Northern VA Community College
APPLICATION LINK: https://www.jobs.virginia.gov/jobs/9192dd18-d8b4-4c8b-9e8a-c6b9178dde7a
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Director of Emergency Management and Safety
Agency: Northern VA Community College
Location: Fairfax County – 059
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Experience (Up to $125,000 max)
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time
The Director of Emergency Management and Safety directs the development, implementation, testing and regular improvement of College-wide emergency preparedness. The Director assures that College employees and organizational units are ready to respond in practical, productive, and effective ways to emergencies. The Director also serves as the College’s liaison to national, state, and regional emergency management agencies and leaders.
Duties and Tasks:
- Oversee the College-wide emergency management and environmental health and safety programs.
With regards to emergency management duties: oversee the management, development, implementation, coordination, and training of emergency management objectives to be in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations to promote a safer and better prepared College environment.
- With regards to environmental health and safety duties: offer guidance on compliance requirements (federal and state laws and regulations) for all College environmental health and safety programs in an effort to promote a safer college environment.
- Ensure the proper implementation and regular evaluation of policies and procedures related to both emergency management and environmental health and safety, and serve as the subject matter expert and authority on emergency management and environmental health and safety issues.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the emergency management staff and budgets within both divisions making certain that the department, as a whole, operates in a way that is consistent with College policies.
Guide the Safety Manager and appropriate College staff to ensure compliance with federal, state, and college environmental health and safety objectives College-wide.
- Maintain the College’s comprehensive safety plans and oversee the management of all College environmental health and safety programs.
- Oversee the development and management of College-wide training programs related to emergency preparedness.
Must be able to pass a fingerprint-based criminal background check.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques related to emergency management and environmental health and safety.
- A solid understanding of organizational planning processes and technologies and how to implement and improve broad-based, practical and effective organizational plans.
- The ability to understand the mission and strategic direction of the College, to use traditional and advanced planning techniques for assessing risks and threats to the College, and the ability to translate them into planning priorities and formulating responses to such risks and threats in emergency situations.
- The ability to relate to, communicate and make effective presentations (as needed) with senior executives, the Administrative Council, College governance, College employees at all levels, and with external officers and agencies.
- The ability to collect, organize, retain, analyze and produce information related to emergency planning and response.
- Excellent English speaking ,writing skills and very effective communication skills.
- Knowledge of the health aspects of emergency planning and response is desirable.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and fiscal management including contract management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the National Incident Management System.
- Knowledge of Federal and State codes, laws, orders, and regulations related to emergency management and associated environmental health and safety (i.e. OSHA, NFPA, VA Statewide Fire Prevention Code, VA Governor’s Executive Orders, VA State Code).
- Significant experience in emergency management and evidence of relevant training and experiences.
- Some experience in personnel management, organizational planning, budget, strategic planning, and contract management
- Some experience in public agencies or working with public agencies.
- Certified Virginia Professional Emergency Manager (VPEM).
- Must have completed the Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP) training course as well as FEMA courses (IS 100, 100he, 120.a., 130, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must complete Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC) within the first six months of employment.
- Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Some emergency management experience in an institution of higher education.
- Certified Emergency Manager designation by International Association Emergency Managers.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Northern VA Community College
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs.virginia.gov.