Guilford County Government
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
$29.04 – $36.30 Hourly
1002 Meadowood Greensboro, NC
9/7/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
General Statement of Duties:
Position is responsible for providing Emergency Management services within Guilford County through managing a comprehensive preparedness and response program for GCEM. This includes planning, organizing, and supporting the activities of the Emergency Management Division and to provide coordination of the emergency management functions for the 120 agencies listed in the Guilford County Emergency Operations Plan for all jurisdictions and unincorporated areas of Guilford County.
*This is an “On-call” staff position. All employees of the Emergency Management Division which are in the “On-call” status must be a resident of Guilford County or live within five (5) road miles of the county line.
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
Employee is responsible for assisting with maintaining county wide Emergency Operations Plan, county wide Emergency Operations Center, provide on-scene field emergency response to incidents upon request, present multi-hazard emergency preparedness training and education, assist with coordination of county wide mitigation activities and disaster recovery operation. This position is distinguished from the EM Coordinator by acting in a team leadership capacity and making independent decisions when the EM Division director is unavailable or delegates responsibilities to the EM Senior Coordinator on special projects.
Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Manage the planning and maintenance process for Guilford County emergency Plans policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with the public, elected officials, and 120 governmental and nongovernmental partner agencies to develop emergency management plans, procedures, and protocols for Guilford County
- Present multi-hazard emergency preparedness training and education to employees, partner agencies and the public in support of the Emergency Management program.
- On a rotating basis, provide Emergency Management On-Call responsibilities.
- Manage Emergency Management Operations on a 24 hour basis.
- Respond to emergency calls, provide emergency coordination functions for Incident Commanders, and activate plans and policies as required to include managing the Emergency Operations Center.
- Provide assistance to state and local government via county to county or county to state mutual aid during large scale incidents.
- Manage an ongoing Training and Exercise Program for the plans and programs supported by Guilford County
- Emergency Management and coordinate and support external agency requests as needed.
- Attend various meetings on behalf of the Emergency Management Division; participate in internal staff meetings;
- Attending training and continuing education required in order to maintain certifications.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of emergency planning.
- Knowledge of emergency response activities and the ICS structure.
- Knowledge and application of the five mission areas (prevention, protection, mitigation, response, and recovery) of Emergency Management.
- Knowledge of multi-agency emergency coordination and on-scene coordination.
- Knowledge of disaster recovery procedures.
- Skill in emergency plan review and modification.
- Skill in educating government agencies and citizens.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Ability to teach emergency management programs.
- Ability to write and review internal and external planning documents.
- Ability to acquire an NCEM or IAEM credential.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Emergency Management, Fire Science, Chemistry, Environmental Health, Biology, Business Administration or a related degree, and three years of experience in emergency planning, emergency operations, or inter-agency coordination at local, state, or federal level. Must have excellent writing and communication skills. Current driver’s license required.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
An employee in this position must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. The employee must be able to perform medium work exerting in excess of 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 10 pound of force constantly to move objects.
Driving is Essential
Driving is an essential requirement of this position whether driving a County owned or personal vehicle to conduct county business. Motor Vehicle Reports may be verified for valid driver’s license and that the driving record is compatible with the county’s driving criteria.
If a personal vehicle is operated for county business proper insurance is maintained as per Guilford County’s vehicle use policy.
Special Note-This generic class description gives an overview of the job class, its essential job functions and recommended job requirements. However, for each individual position assigned to this class, there is available a completed job description with physical abilities checklist which can be reviewed before initiating a selection process. They can provide additional detailed information on which to base various personnel actions and can assist management in making legal defensible personnel decisions.
201 S Greene Street
Greensboro, North Carolina, 27401
Guilford County Government
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.