Durham County Government
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
SENIOR EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT COORDINATOR – 40008281
Date: Nov 20, 2023
Location: Durham, NC, US, 27701
Company: Durham County
Durham County Government employs approximately 1,900 employees that work towards providing needed services throughout the community. With a wide array of services, Durham County Government is at the heart of a rapidly growing and diverse area offering residents, employees and visitors exciting opportunities to live, work, grow and play. For more information about Durham County Government, visit www.dconc.gov.
DEPARTMENT: OES/Emergency Management
DATE POSTED: November 20, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
HIRING RANGE: $70,663 – $120,042
POSITION NUMBER: 40008281
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
Durham County Emergency Management provides leadership in prevention, preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation activities through partnerships with local, state, federal, and private stakeholders to develop resilient government operations and enhance public safety, property conservation and protection of the environment.
• Assists in the planning, organizing and administration of the Durham City/County Emergency Management Program with a focus on Homeland Security and Situational Awareness.
• This position will lead the development, ongoing operation, and strategic framework of a 24/7 watch and information sharing center and will help identify and communicate concerns and threats in real-time.
• Develops, maintains, and executes plans and procedures to ensure a timely, efficient, and effective response and recovery from all types and levels of emergencies and disasters.
• Specifically, this position will utilize timely intelligence to fully adopt an all-hazards approach and provide an assessment of risks, initiate necessary warnings, and implement emergency plans.
• Develops Emergency Management Policy for consideration and implementation as it relates to homeland security, situational awareness and information sharing.
• Assists the Emergency Management Division Chief and the State and Federal government in the proper allocation of resources to enhance situational awareness.
• Plans, directs, and administers the Emergency Management Program, the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan, and related plans and procedures specific to Homeland Security and Situational Awareness.
• Represents the City and County of Durham as a point of contact for local, state, and federal government authorities and agencies involved in emergency responses and recovery activities.
• Recommends new legislation or amendments regarding emergency management matters.
• Participates in budget preparation and control of expenditures and assigns and supervises programs, personnel, and equipment specific to expanding capabilities around information gathering, analyzing and sharing.
• Serves as the point of contact to the jurisdictions’ executives during emergency/disaster response recovery.
• Assists in establishing channels for the dissemination of emergency information to staff members, volunteers, and the public. This position will consolidate and present real-time data and information from various sources in comprehensive and up-to-date situational awareness tools to visualize the operational environment and to support decision-making.
• Establishes and implements plans, standard operating procedures, recommends methods for the preservation of records, lines of succession in key governmental positions and the use of personnel and equipment in the event of disaster or attack. This position will design, develop and maintain interactive data visualization dashboards to simplify complex and disparate data into easy-to-interpret and actionable information to aid in decision-making. The position will also require research of new tools, products and technological advancements and developing recommendations for system and process improvement.
• Develops Continuity of Operations Plans and Continuity of Government Plans related to information gathering, sharing and analysis.
• Reviews emergency plans developed by local businesses, industries, and emergency response agencies and makes recommendations for improvements.
• Collaborates in the planning and execution of local exercises to test preparedness capabilities and makes recommendations for improvements.
• Collaborates with officials in order to prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies.
• Performs Hazard Identification and Risk Assessments to determine the types of preparedness needs that will need to be addressed in disaster planning and provides technical support to others.
• Consults with officials of local and area governments, schools, hospitals, and other institutions in order to determine their needs and capabilities in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency.
• Collaborates in the design and delivery of emergency/disaster preparedness training to educate people how to effectively respond and recover from major emergencies and disasters.
• Develops and maintains relationships with municipalities, city/county departments, private entities, non-governmental agencies, state agencies and similar entities to build and maintain integrated capabilities to respond to and recover from emergencies and disasters.
• Maintains a functioning 24-hour emergency operations center and information-sharing center in the event of crisis.
• Supports the delivery of training and public outreach activities for city/county employees and the general population.
• Serves as the Department’s representative for various countywide emergency management meetings as they relate to information sharing and intelligence. Possesses technological proficiency (understanding, functionality, maintenance) in a wide array of computer and communications software, systems, tools, platforms, concepts and applications. Possesses and utilizes experience with all aspects of data management and integration.
• Assists city/county departments and private entities with emergency and disaster plans and procedures.
• Keeps up to date with emergency management issues and initiatives. Integrate governmental doctrines such as the National Response Framework (NRF), National Incident Management System (NIMS), Incident Command Structure (ICS) and continuity of government into daily practice to include: adopting fundamentals and concepts, resource management, command and coordination with ICS, EOC, MAC and JIS/JIC and communications and information management
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local emergency management policies, procedures, laws, and operations;
- Knowledge of the Robert T. Stafford Act for mitigation and recovery operations;
- Knowledge of computers, software applications, and the use of Social Media in emergency management operations;
- Knowledge of governmental structures and resources;
- Knowledge of emergency management organization, planning, and supervision;
- Advanced leadership skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
- Ability to make sound decisions based on good situational awareness with the flexibility to change and modify those decisions as conditions change;
- Ability to motivate and direct staff;
- Ability to deal tactfully with elected/appointed officials, stakeholders, and the public to establish and maintain effective relationships;
- Ability to operate under physically and mentally stressful emergency situations for prolonged periods of time; and
- Ability to compile, interpret, and present statistical data, facts and associated recommendations.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to bachelor’s degree in emergency management, homeland security, public administration or a related emergency service field and four years of experience in emergency services with at least one year of supervisory/team leader experience.
Possession of a valid NC Class B driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. Must be available for call-back during significant emergencies and disasters.
Must obtain certification as a Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) with the International Association of Emergency Managers or certification as a NC Executive Emergency Manager by the NC Training and Standards Advisory Board within two years of employment.
Durham County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Durham County Government
To apply for this job please visit careers.dconc.gov.